Solar Orchard Concept for an Energy and Food Positive Facility
Designed to be an exemplar of Cradle to Cradle Design™ and Circular Economy thinking . The structure is energy and water positive, creating more than is needed to operate.
Innovation and Research Center,
WM+P lead the design of this conceptualization for an innovation center for a Fortune 500 client.
Key features include:
- A rooftop solar orchard that optimizes the roof area for producing photovoltaic derived energy and integrates greenhouse space for agriculture
- Carbon positive – sequestering more carbon than is used in energy generation
- Interior and exterior surfaces which harvest energy and water, build soil, sequester carbon and grow food
- An interior atrium Hub space which celebrates the path of the sun throughout the day as a solar clock and elevates the notion of ‘food’ as a central theme
- A vibrant workspace designed for interaction of the occupants
- Incorporation of Cradle to Cradle Certifed™ products and material strategies, including design for disassembly
- BREEAM Excellent and WELL certified
ClientDelta Development Group
ProgramInnovation and Research Center
Area18,500 square meters
William McDonough + Partners, Design Architect